Saturday, January 30, 2010

COMICS!!!!!!



Let's just pretend that I'm active in this blog. It seems that there are a lot of things I've been wanting to say since I got "creative" again. So, moving on...

I've been making comics again since last year (Silent Sanctum Manga. Available at comic conventions and at Sputnik Comics at Cubao PLUG!!!) Not an easy task, what with juggling work, catching some Zzzz' s and spending some quality time with my girlfriend (the best ever, ZING!!!!!) It's the greatest feeling, really, when you're on a state of coming up with visual ideas and your brain is overflowing with ideas. I admit that I'm not the greatest comic artist ever, but I feel like the best writer ever. Guess I got it from my father. To me, making the story interesting and keeping the reader wanting more is the key to a great comic book story. I've been collecting comics, either local or foreign (as I've noted in a previous log) for quite some time now. Foreign comics can be bought everywhere these days, and that's where I want to say something distressing...

Local comics are really, really few now. People would prefer to watch tv (I've even joked in my Facebook page that "television killed the komiks star) or do something "productive" instead. Distribution is also the problem. Often people would have to go through the ends of the earth to find a copy. Also, since these people (myself included) have "day jobs" and are either doing these for the sake of any hullabaloo, many comics take a long time to be finished. Often they make 2-3 issues per year. It's quite sad, really. I've also noticed that usually readers of these local comics are also comic artists/writers as well. It's hard to get an audience who is just a fan, who knows squat about drawing.

The only thing that stands the test of time are comic strips at newspapers. They have a broad audience, and can appeal to many. What I'm dreaming now is for a publishing companyto start a Heavy Metal-type of comic magazine (must be in large print) that features all kinds of comic stories either in continuity or not. Anyone can submit in less than 2 pages or more in color or the infamous B&W...

Here's hoping...


-"the king"

No comments: