Sunday, August 24, 2008

Groening, Monster Trucks and Dealing with College Students...

I gotta admit, I always wanted to dedicate a little bit of time collecting subjects to discuss (or rant) in this blog of mine. It's very fulfilling to express your thoughts in the world wide web, where almost everybody can get famous. As much as possible, I also don't want to post personal-diary stuff on my blog. Why? Well, 1. It can get dramatic 2. People don't really want to know what you did during the day (unless it is of scandalous nature, or you're a damn celebrity) and 3. well, I just had to inlude the number 3. It is a universal number. You'll find out soon...

Anyway, I've bought a July 2008 issue of Playboy Philippines simply because of an interview with The Simpsons creator Matt Groening. His answers are very informative and funny. Here's an excerpt (buy the issue...)

On the Movie: " We're playing around with the pacing. No, we're not padding it with a lot of songs. We tried."

The Simpsons Hair: "...what was memorable in cartoons was characters you could identify in silohoutte. That's why [they] have distinctive hairlines"

On the thousands of merchandise: "We have turned a few things down, believe it or not. We turned down Simpsons slot machines..."

On memory: " I can't remember... having done 400 episodes... I have only a certain amount of space in my brain for Simpsons knowledge."

Having also watched an episode of Monster Jam (http://www.monsterjamonline.com) showing on Maxxx, I have come to a conclusion that this is the kind of television that you will be entertained and watch for a few minutes. It stacks up there with wrestling and Olympics.

It would be entertaining and grand if I would become a professor at a college. For one, I would make my students research their assignments and projects the old-fashioned way: library. I wouldn't allow them to research it online. It would be too easy. I experienced that this generation is a point-click-copy-paste generation. They would rather dedicate their time playing DOTA (which I'm a fan of) than hit the books. So I would make sure that their research is not, shall I say, a Wikipedia-ripped one. Haha...

Do check out this site: http://www.flamingmayo.com/firstchurchofpacman It is an extremely well-written and insult-laden site for fans of that yellow, gluttonous 8-bit videogame icon. It may lack menus (all of the information is placed on one page.) but it is very informative. Check it even if you're not a videogame freak (Gasp! How dare you??!!) I love listening also to Urbandub's new single "Fight Is Over" and Weezer's "Pork And Beans"

- "the king"

No comments: